With so much money to be made, there is no way they’re stopping anytime soon. One of the easiest ways to reel in a victim is through their email inbox, so you should research the signs of a scam before you lose a single penny. Here are five to watch for:
- The email isn’t addressed to you. This detail is small, so you might overlook it. When dealing with a suspicious email, always check the sender. It might be addressed to an email you don’t even own!
- Someone sends you an email, but it doesn’t sound like them. The tone is hard to tell over text, but once you have exchanged enough emails and texts with a coworker, you start to understand their typing style. Maybe they never use periods, or they like to use emojis when they message you. Either way, everyone has their own writing style. That’s why a sudden shift in tone should raise a red flag.
- Be suspicious of any email with an attachment. It’s not unusual for a coworker to send you an email with a document, picture, or PDF attached. But they usually only send it after a prior conversation. Maybe you had a video call and they said, “I’ll send that to you.” But if a coworker sends you an email with an attachment out of the blue, watch out. That could be a sign a criminal has stolen their identity.
- A company requests info from you via email. You get an email from Netflix, Amazon, or another company you have an account with. It says it has noticed some suspicious activity, like multiple login attempts or an issue with your payment information. It might even claim you are eligible for a refund or a relief payment. If this email were real, the company would send you to its website. It wouldn’t ask for an email response.
- Did you win a contest you didn’t enter? It’s probably a scam. You know the saying: “If it’s too good to be true, it probably is.” It’s rare enough to win a contest you actually joined. What are the odds you win one you didn’t even sign up for?
For more information and some real-world examples, as well as links to other potential online scams, be sure to read this article.